This program is an instrument that promotes good social and environmental practices. Its goal is to help public and private companies to achieve sustainability through processes of verification and certification.
The program was created based on the need of:
- Recognizing the work done by institutions that favor the environment
- Promoting sustainable development through services provided by SalvaNATURA
- Having a continuous improvement mechanism to check dedication and good business planning
Provide a tool to promote, test and recognize both public and private organizations that are committed to the sustainable development of El Salvador and the Mesoamerican region.
- Positively influence the planning and implementation of corporate actions for climate change adaptation.
- Reduce environmental impacts, starting from the source.
- Contribute to the implementation of “Millennium Development Goals” in environmental and social aspects.
- Promote and enhance management and good social and environmental practices in different economic sectors in the region.
- Promote both environmentally and socially responsible practices in markets for products and services.
- To strengthen corporate competitiveness in different economic sectors.
- Promote transparency and confidentiality.
This program recognizes the commitment to good practices in the processes of the entities in the public and private sector. Through a service request, the company can choose to focus on the organization as a whole, or on branches, departments, areas, or others. We recommend including the whole organization in order to get better results.
Standard and Process of the Social and Environmental Commitment Program
The program is composed of a standard of good social and environmental practices that include three pillars:
- Climate (Adaptation and Mitigation)
The participating entities, aware of the risks and vulnerabilities in their environment, identify, plan and implement actions to effectively adapt to adverse conditions resulting from climate change and develop mechanisms to ensure that its processes lead to a reduction in greenhouse gases. The implementation of a program of energy efficiency, the use of renewable energy and cleaner production processes are actions that help mitigate the effects of climate change.
- Landscape (Habitat and Biodiversity)
The participating organizations demonstrate a permanent commitment to the conservation of biodiversity and natural resources, and acknowledge that the eco-systemic services they generate are fundamental to the execution of processes and provide benefits for people and neighboring communities. These objectives materialize through the implementation of programs to protect biodiversity, conservation and responsible use of water, integrated waste management, and reduction of toxic substances.
- Society (Community and Workforce)
The participating entities are involved in the needs of communities, to improve the quality of life of their members, through the implementation of social projects by themselves and/or in cooperation with stakeholders. These entities also develop mechanisms to optimize their productivity through the implementation of practices that encourage their staff to take ownership of the corporate goals regarding environmental responsibility. Customers and suppliers must participate to consolidate sustainable businesses.
With these pillars, organizations can develop activities that allow them to be sustainable. The pillars also improve productivity, process efficiency and thus contribute to the financial sustainability of the company.
Each pillar has different criteria that aim to the sustainability of the company, each criterion has three indicators which aim to continuous improvement.
The norm has three levels of compliance, these are achieved based on the quantity of indicators complied by the company.
The three levels of compliance are:
- Sustainable, Emerging
- Sustainable, Advanced
- Sustainable, Outstanding
The process of the program is composed of the following steps:
- The company sends the application form in which the scope of the evaluation is defined.
- SalvaNATURA reviews the application form and sends budget, a work plan proposal and service agreement.
- The company sends approved budget, signed service agreement and makes the first payment.
- SalvaNATURA makes a diagnosis of the company based on the Social and Environmental Commitment Norm. This diagnosis consists of technical assistance for the company, which includes a technical adviser who will work with the administrators of the company to identify existing good practices and make other recommendations.
- The consultant prepares the assessment report and, based on the results, recommends the company for its first audit.
- The company checks the report and approves the participation in the audit.
- A certified auditor from SalvaCERT performs the audit and a financial report.
- The company reviews the report, approves and makes the second payment.
- SalvaNATURA will deliver the confirmation of the level of certification, issue the certificate and recognize the entity in publicity events and through different communication channels.
Phone: (503) 2202-1501